Learning by Doing (Corporal Works of Mercy)
At Donnelly, we believe that learning extends beyond the classroom and into the community. As part of our 服务学习 initiative, your instructors will incorporate meaningful service that targets real-world needs.
服务学习 is a teaching and learning strategy that integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience; teaching civic responsibility and strengthening communities.
As part of the Donnelly mission and Strategic Plan, service-learning activities incorporate the corporal works of mercy found in the teachings of Jesus Christ and give students a model of how they should treat all human beings. It is a tradition at Donnelly to host a 服务日 at the beginning of each academic year. 在这次活动中, students fulfill our mission by feeding the hungry, sheltering the homeless, visiting the sick and incarcerated, burying and honoring the dead and giving alms to the poor.
Honors Service-Learning Project
The LPL外围网址 Honors Service-Learning Project aims to give associate and nursing-certificate students valuable real-world experience and encourages them to use their skills to serve others. There are several ways to earn this designation which will be recognized at graduation with an honor cord and noted on students' transcripts. 学生 must complete the volunteer requirements prior to November 30 for the fall graduation date and April 1 for the spring graduation date. Courses in progress will count for the designation.
- 选项一: 学生 take three courses within a degree program with the service-learning designation.
- The Registrar must designate these courses as SL.
- 选项B: 学生 take two courses within a degree program with the service-learning designation AND complete three of the following volunteer activities:
- 学生 may volunteer (5 hours) at: 发光, 1 day4donnelly, new student orientations, 服务日, 图书馆, Campus Cupboard and/or a non-profit organization approved by the Student Engagement Coordinator.
- 学生 must complete a reflection form after each volunteer activity and obtain a supervisor’s signature.
- For Nursing students, two 12-hour shifts are eligible for the Honors Service-Learning Project.
服务学习 Courses Offered:
- AS 101 First Year Experience
- SF 099 Success First Accelerated Reading & 写作
- EN 204 Environmental Ethics
- SC 204 Environmental Ethics
- SC 105 Environmental Science
- EN 203 Topics in Literature
- BL 150 Intro to Botany
服务学习 Graduation Cord:
学生 can achieve a 服务学习 graduation cord if they complete and pass four 服务学习 (SL) designation courses.